Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mt. Evans Ascent / 5430 Sprint Triathlon Race Reports


Mt. Evans Ascent:
June 20 & 21 kicked off IronPuppy 2009 (
www.joeturcotte.com) It included the 14.5 mile run to the summit of Mt. Evans Colorado at 14,264 ft., followed the next day by the 5430 Sprint Triathlon. Why, you may ask am I combining two race reports into one. It’s easy. The Ascent was perfect, the 5430 was a disaster and lasted less than ten minutes before I realized my race was over.

Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 10,000 ft., conditions were cool but nice. However, the race director informed us that 8 miles up the road, it was 20 degrees, zero visibility and 30 mph winds. I expect that no one at the start considered calling it a day. HOWEVER, the park service stated that the race would end at 9 miles, at 13,000 ft. if conditions didn’t allow at least 50 ft. visibility. We were informed that at 6 miles a sign would tell us if the race ended at 9 miles or 14.5 miles at the summit.

Six miles arrived and the sign said “Finish at the Summit”……COOL! I hadn’t done this race since 2002 and set my personal record (PR) one year earlier with a time of 2:58:32 at 41 years old. Now as an ancient 50 year old, I had no illusions of breaking that PR. But, in my heart I thought “hmmmm, I may just be able to get under 3 hours”. Low and behold, I finished in 2:55:35. Conditions were miserable but training trumped age and I expect I’ll go under 2:45 at age 60 (unless I’m dead).

I had minor psychological issues with turning 50. Why wasn’t I rich (Hmmm, could it have been the 70’s….damn decade of decadence)? Why don’t I own any real estate (Hmmm, maybe I hate roof repair)? Why don’t I own a swanky car (Hmmm, maybe I love my 1998 Jeep). The bottom line is that I felt that at 41 years old, a 2:58:32 run up Mt. Evans, was something I’d never experience again. Yet, at age 50 I was munching muffins at 2:58:35 after the gun went off. Go figure.

5430 Sprint Triathlon:
Sunday morning I was still pretty adrenalized after the previous day’s PR on Mt. Evans. I felt fantastic and actually believed that I would beat my previous years sprint time. The National Anthem was sung, the gun went off and I started swimming. One hundred yards from shore my hamstrings cramped so bad, I grabbed a buoy and tried to massage and beat it out of my leg. By 400 yds, I had inhaled several gallons of lake water, a bit of boat fuel and a small trout. At that time I was 15 minutes into the swim and had expected to finish the full 880 yds. by then. After much deliberation, and much more fear and panic, I called over a boat. The boat dude asked if I needed to hang on for a rest. I replied that I needed a ride to the beach. My race was over.

Lessons learned:
- Don’t be a dope! I want so badly to raise funds for Canine Companions for Independence

(CCI) that I attempted a stunt that I was unprepared for.
- A DNF (Did Not Finish) is not the end of the world.
- Actually watching a race (and taking pictures) is pretty fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment